Friday, April 18, 2008

Laptop

My old laptop (notebook) is going to retire pretty soon. 3 years of use is what I can maximise out of the poor lappy.

Bought the lappy 3 years ago during my birthday month and I have been pushing every single specs to the maximum these 3 years. With a AMD Sempron processor T2800, 256GB RAM and 40GB hard disk, I am surprised at how it served me well these years. I had no intention to fork out another $2K just to buy a new laptop but the poor lappy is retiring soon. Starting 2 months ago, the screen frequency is starting to fail and the system hangs and runs really slowly when I have only 2 programs on.

Even since these problems started to appear, I began sourcing for a new laptop. Something light and fast. It doesn't needs a lot of functions, just the normal functions will do. It must fall below $2.5K. These are my requirements.

I did my own research on the latest processor and recommended memory for Vista. I decided on at least an Intel processor of 7000+, 2GB RAM and 160GB hard disk. Next, I decide on what the size and weight of the laptop that I am willing to accept. Probably between 12" to 14.3" and weight to be below 2.3kg, considering that I may need to carry the laptop to and fro NUS for 3 years.

After deciding on the minimum specs I need, I started sourcing for a reputable brand that meets my requirements and within my budget. Dell and Asus are the 2 brands that I have been contemplating for the past few days. I didn't include Fujitsu and Toshiba due to budget constraints. I rather pay lesser to get more.

Dell was kicked off the list yesterday as the specs offered though meet my requirements is more expensive. So I am left with ASUS. I checked various websites for reviews, Notebook Reviews and Hardware Zone.

After much more thinking and research on the prices, I decided on ASUS F9SG. 12.1", approximate 2kg (with 6 cell battery), Intel 2 Duo Core Processor T8300, 3GB RAM and 250GB hard disk for $2298 or $2098.

Such a great deal and how can I miss it? I am heading down to Sim Lim tomorrow to find the best deal. (^^)

0 comments:

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com