Friday, June 13, 2008

Courts = Unprofessional

I am raging in anger now. I feel like tearing Courts apart at this very moment. Please never shop at Courts. Their after-sale service is like sh*t! I am going to share my experience here with the email reply from Courts.


I bought an Acer notebook from Courts (Tampines outlet) on 4th July 2005. It was a very quick procedure as I knew what I wanted to get. I told the sales personnel what I wanted and he told me to get '2 years extended warranty'. I agreed as I read that notebook is not long-lasting and getting additional years of warranty is only for the good. So I proceeded to the cashier to make payment and after I made payment, the sales personnel approached me to inform me, only after payment, that the notebook was out of stock. I wasn't in a hurry so I said I would wait. This was my first shopping experience with Courts and at that moment, I did not realise that I have to get the tax invoice back from the cashier which the cashier did not return to me.

The next day, I went back to Courts to get a photocopied version of the invoice from the sales personnel. All these times, the sales personnel did not inform me about the terms and conditions of the extended warranty.

Weeks after 4th of July, I finally received my notebook. The sales personnel did not call me up but it was me who kept calling him up for updates. He did not bother to call me up even when the notebook arrived in store.

2 years and 11 months passed peacefully. The notebook served me well until the frequency of the screen started giving me problems. I decided to get a new notebook which is the current one I am using. When I decided to double-check my invoice for the Acer notebook, I remember the 2 years extended warranty so I told my mum I would send it for repair.

I called the extended warranty hotline and no one answered, thinking that self carrying in will do the trick, I carried the 3kg Acer notebook to the outlet that I bought my notebook from. I was not given basic attention and was told to call the extended warranty hotline again. So I called again. First try, the line was cut off and finally the second try managed to get me through to the customer service officer on the other end. The officer checked my records and told me my warranty expired 1 year ago. I was so surprised that I almost shouted at the officer.

'2 years extended warranty' to me refers to 2 years additional warranty on top of the original warranty covered by Acer. But no, I was told that '2 years extended warranty' means 1+1 year warranty. Can you imagine my shock? I paid $199 for only 1 extra year of warranty and when my invoice stated '2 years extended warranty'.

I wasn't ready to let it rest yet so with encouragement from Leanne, I sent a complaint to Courts.

"I bought an Acer notebook from your Tampines outlet on the 4th July 2005 with an extended warranty of 2 years. Now that the screen of the notebook has some problems, I called your Extended Warranty hotline to be told that my warranty expired last year. It was outraging to think that I spent $199 for 2 years extended warranty but instead furnished with only a 1+1 year of warranty.

Your invoice also stated '2 years extended warranty'. Unless I am very mistaken, I understood the word 'extended' as additional. If you do not wish to comply with the stated warranty in your invoice, kindly not put the word 'extended' to mislead your customers. I was also not told of this when your sales personnel enthusiastically encouraged me to purchase extended warranty.

Personally, I felt very cheated by the way Courts works. I hope for a satisfying reply."


After acquiring some additional information from me, here is the reply from Courts:

"Dear Ms Kelly

Thank you for your email dated 13 June 2008 about the warranty period of your Acer notebook.

We apologise for the misunderstanding. Please allow us to confirm that you have received a copy of the Terms and Conditions of the Extended Warranty (printed at the back of your invoice).

We like to refer you to the clause which states “The term of the Contract is two(2) to five(5) years from purchase date or delivery date (whichever is later) inclusive of original manufacturer’s warranty period”. As you purchased the Acer notebook on 4 July 2005, the Extended Warranty expired on 3 July 2007. As such you may need to approach ACER’s technical support for support/repair.

We seek your understanding in this matter."


No, I don't understand and I don't wish to understand. Why wasn't the terms and conditions made known to me in the first place before I made payment?

So I replied again:

"I do have the invoice but it is a photocopied one of the original invoice. When I paid for my notebook at the cashier, the cashier did not return the invoice to me and I didn't know that I was supposed to collect it back. I had to double back the next day to get a photocopied version from the sales personnel and he only photocopied the first page. So I am perfectly unaware of any terms and conditions of the extended warranty which the sales personnel did not also highlight to me.

On top of it, I did not receive the notebook on the date of purchase. I received it only weeks after the purchase as I wasn't told the notebook was out of stock until I paid for it. I had to keep calling for updates of the notebook instead of the sales personnel calling me up. It was surprising to know that this wasn't noted in the invoice or data system on your side.

I have been enduring all these unprofessional service on your side and now I have to endure more. Thanks for you reply but I am utterly disappointed by the after-sale service provided by Courts. I am never buying from Courts again."


I am pretty sure I won't be getting a reply for this with that last sentence in my email. Be it that they replied or not, I marked my words never to shop at Courts again.

0 comments:

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com